Monday, February 28, 2011

Geek of the Week (it's a good thing)

One of the things we have started in our quest for cool IT is what we call Geek of the Week. It is given out to folks that demonstrate some special "geekiness" that week. I actually kicked this off before I opened the "Are we cool enough?" can of worms, and folks seem to like it. Even other departments have heard of it and asked if they could join in.

I've kept it simple; people submit nominations to me, and I am the sole judge. Folks can nominate anyone, including  themselves. Nominations can be for any cool new bit of tech, or a new application of some existing tech that they have discovered and want to share. It is especially good if it solves a problem the business faces. A good example from a few weeks ago was the discovery of Tungle to share free/busy information externally. Many of us use it now, and it solves a real problem.



Of course you don't win much. I announce the winner via Chatter, and you get to keep the Geek of the Week certificate in your office until the next one is awarded.

I am interested in other ways folks have found to bring thought leadership to the surface.

Come on you Geeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment