Thursday, February 17, 2011

Another Long-time Vendor Causing Great Pain

This time it is RIM. We have been having sync issues with our blackberries for some time now. We believe it to be somehow related to our Exchange 2010 upgrade, as they started around the same time. RIM support has been no help. They now believe they understand the problem, but don't know how to fix it. They throw a lot of "try this" at us, but it is pretty apparent they don't have a clue as to how to get us relief.

My iOS and Android devices are nearly perfect when it comes to staying in sync, and they are much nicer devices to live with. The only reason we still have blackberries at all is are the slightly better corporate features that some of the users want. However, the most important thing sync, and if you can't get that right, you need to go.

So, I am going to pull the plug. I made and announced the decision to start a slow purge of the blackberries last week, and I am going to use my RIM support dollars on something that actually adds value to the business. I know the loss of my 450 user BES support contract is too small to make much of a difference to RIM, but I'll sure feel better when I am no longer sending them our check.

No comments:

Post a Comment