Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Short Rant

My wife and I went to the First Night celebration in Portsmouth New Hampshire on New Year's eve. We were enjoying cigars as we walked down the street. For the first time ever, several folks gave us considerable grief about our smokes, including one teenager that was way too young to be so grumpy. What ever happened to New Hampshire? This used to be the Live Free or Die state. It is the main reason I moved here 23 years ago.

It is a bit ironic; if these busy-bodies hadn't lobbied to ban the cigar bars they never went to, I would have been there enjoying a scotch and a cigar.

Why does it seem that folks just can't but the hell out of others lives anymore?

1 comment:

  1. I was there too. What irked me? Folks automatically think cigars stink! The cigar I had was aromatic, upscale, and a highly taxed luxury item. It put off a delightful mocha aroma, enhanced by a spicy undertone. By enjoying that Java cigar,I was able to contribute to the bottom line of both local small businesses, the tax base, and a third world country growing fantastic tobacco leaf. The woman who was "offended" pushed a stroller alongside the road, with a pre toddler right at SUV tail pipe level. Not once did she think to protect her kid from either the exhaust, or the potential injury she risked pushing that behemoth of a status symbol stroller along the road. I am nit the least but sorry this soccer mutha' was offended. She voted us out into her public air.

    ReplyDelete